Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Brockville's Not So Bad


It’s been a while since I wrote a personal blog post on a topic.  I suppose that’s because of my technical background and most of my interests are in that area.  But news came out today that has many in the community I call home up in arms and I think it’s worth discussing.

Today MoneySense magazine published a list of the bestplaces to live and ranked 190 communities across Canada.  Brockville, which is the area I call home (and gladly so) ranked 165 on the list.  Now this ranking takes several categories into consideration and then ranks the communities based on a percentageof points assigned to each category.   The numbers are less than flattering for Brockville but is there truth behind the numbers?  



If you aren’t familiar with Brockville it’s a scenic city located in the heart of the 1000 Islands Region of Ontario on the shores of the St. Lawrence Seaway.    No one would question that its tourist potential is huge.  So why does it rank so low on places to live?  Well again based on statistics alone one can’t argue that there aren’t many career opportunities.  True companies like Proctor and Gamble have factories in Brockville and they do hire from time to time but those opportunities are few and far between and generally are labour positions which don't suit an office junky like me.  

My family moved to the area just over two years ago and both my wife and I have to commute out of town to work.  As an IT (Information Technology) professional I have worked in both Ottawa and Kingston since coming to the area. Don't get me wrong it's not for lack of trying to find full-time work in Brockville but there just doesn't seem to be a demand for my line of work.  But is that a bad thing?  Sure it would be nice to have my workplace closer to my life but it's not the end of the world if it's not possible.  It's just a matter of perspective.

Take this perspective on it; the cost of living is cheaper than Kingston and much cheaper than Ottawa.  Brockville is located right on the 401 and just minutes from the 416 making it an ideal location for someone who doesn’t mind commuting to work.  Living in Brockville also means living in a community where a few hundred thousand dollars means a house with a large yard, where you know your neighbours (and since there is space between you and them, like them too) compared to the bigger cities like Kingston or Ottawa where a similar dollar amount means a tiny cramped townhouse. 

Brockville is roughly and hour commute from Kingston (3) and an hour commute from Ottawa (1) putting it in a great location to work in either city.   An added bonus is that many companies now allow their employees to spend some of their time telecommuting (aka working from home) in an attempt to lower their carbon footprint.  And besides if you put it all in perspective I know people that live in the big cities that spend more time in gridlock than I do commuting to and from work.

As for culture, I’m sure if you look exclusively at numbers you’ll find that Ottawa and Kingston may have more culture than Brockville but there are also more people in those communities and I’m willing to bet that it’s cheaper to see an artist perform (not to mention more intimate) at the Brockville Arts Centre than it would be to see the same artist perform at ScotiaBank Place or even the K-Rock Centre in Kingston.
I could go on and on but my problem with reports like the one from MoneySense is that they are so black and white.  Perhaps in the future when a report like this is released it should be titled “Canada’s Best Places to Statistically Live”.  Are the areas that Brockville can improve?  Sure but isn’t that something that can be said about every community?  The bottom line is that the people who live in Brockville, for the most part, love the city.  The people, who come to visit every year, also love the city.  So why should we care that the staff of MoneySense Magazine, who probably have never been to Brockville, don’t consider it a worthy place to live?

 If it’s any consolation, the community I grew up in, Temiskaming Shores, is ranked at 171 and I consider it one of my top 10 places to live along with the Brockville area, North Bay (62) and Petawawa ((81) / Pembroke (124).

More about me:

My Ottawa Citizen blogs:

No comments:

Post a Comment