Thursday, March 26, 2009

American Idol Week 3 - Motown

Well it's Thursday, a day later than normal for my Idol recap but Obama takes precedence.

Last night the cast of American Idol 8 celebrated "50 Years of MoTown" and it is finally starting to sound as thought the Top 10 actually deserve to be in the top 10, with a few obvious exceptions which we'll get to in the recap.

Crooner Matt Giraud kicked off the night with his take on "Let's Get it On", originally sung by Marvin Gaye. Responding to judges feedback he split the song into sections, so to speak. He started on the piano and then took to the stage, and although his stage performance felt a bit awkward the vocals were top notch. If Matt continues performing as he did this week for the next several weeks there is no question he will make the top 5, and possibly even the top 3.

Next up was Kris Allen, my pick for the dark horse of the competition. Kris and his guitar performed their rendition of "How Sweet it Is". The judges and the audience made it very clear that they enjoyed it. Simon advised him that the only thing Kris is missing at the moment is self-confidence. As it stands right now Kris is in my top 3.

Scott MacIntyre performed third with the promise that he would take a few more risks this week. One of those risks was apparently singing "Can't Hurry Love" by Diana Ross and the Supremes. The risk was the fact that he was a male singing a song originally done by a female group, didn't Phil Collins also sing this song? Anyway I like Scott, he's a nice guy with a positive vibe and a nice voice...but I can't see him going a whole lot further on Idol. The only saving grace for Scott might be that he is a bit better than maybe one or two of the other contestants. I predict that if Scott survives this week's elimination he will definitely be in the bottom 3 and will likely sing his swan-song next week. The judges were pretty united on Scott with the exception of Paula who was so upset with Simon, as per usual, that she called him a 6 year old and pulled out a box of crayons and a colouring book.

Is it just me or are the weekly antics between Paula, who loves everyone, and Simon, who pretty much hates everyone, getting a bit old?

Anyway that's a whole different blog....on with the show.

Quirky, but once again healthy, Megan Joy took to the stage next. Megan is likely the most unique contestant American Idol has ever had. Unfortunately for Megan she has had a rough go since making the top 14, with the exception of last week. This week she takes on "For Once In My Life". Unfortunately for Megan the performance was not great. The song did not have the usual Megan flavor that we have come to enjoy. Randy called the performance a "train wreck" and Simon believed that she "could be in serious trouble". The silver lining for Megan, I think, is that there are still contestants on the show struggling more than her. Watch for Megan in the bottom 3 again this week but I don't expect America to send her packing just yet.

Anoop took on Smokey Robinson classic "Ooh Baby Baby" to show a softer side of the dawg. The vocals were top notch and the judges and fans loved it. In the end I have to agree with Simon's comment that he did a "great vocal" but appeared bored. For me it was the lack of showmanship that Simon was talking about that made the performance kind of boring as a whole. Don't get me wrong I like Anoop and think he has a lot of talent but I don't expect him to last much beyond the top 5.

Taking the sixth spot was Michael Sarver, America's favorite oil rigger (ok I made that up but they did save him in favor of Alexis last week something I am still trying to understand) This week he takes on MoTown with "Ain't to Proud To Beg". Michael must have been a bit too close to Megan last week because he ended up missing the class trip to Motown because he was sick. After his performance last night I think he might want to cancel any plans to go there in the near future. Michael is a nice guy, he has a nice voice that I'm sure he uses to serenade his wife and sing in the shower. So do I, but unlike Michael I will never attempt to go on American Idol. Maybe after last night America will realize that Michael should go home. I would be shocked if Michael isn't part of the bottom three this week.

Fourth from the end is Lil Rounds. You'd think that an African American diva would be center stage during MoTown week, especially when you're the only one left on the show. So how did she fare when she took on "Heatwave" by Martha Reeves and The Vandellas? Well Randy called the beginning of the song "torture" and said it "was not the best performance". Personally I think Lil is a good singer, not a great. Should she be in the top 10? Yes. Should she win? No. I predict that Lil will likely survive until at the very least the top 5, maybe even the top 4 with a few strong weeks. But she was in the bottom three last week so who knows, America will pick whomever they want. I would imagine that when the time does come for Lil she will take the judges save.

Always edgy, controversial and current front runner Adam Lambert took to the stage eighth overall. After his extremely controversial take on Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire last week a much more polished (or should I say unpolished due to his lack of nail polish) Adam presented himself with his take on another Smokey Robinson classic "Tracks of My Tears". Now to be honest I didn't start out as an Adam Lambert fan but after the last few weeks I must say he is growing on me. No question Adam has been topping himself week after week and most certainly has a spot reserved in the top 3 as it stands right now. It's worth noting that after his performance Smokey Robinson himself gave Adam a standing ovation, if that isn't a compliment I don't know what is.

Second last is another one of the front running candidates, Danny Gokey. Danny has been one of my favorites since the beginning but to be honest after seeing his lack of effort during his country week rehersal last week with Randy Travis my level of respect for him has dropped a bit. This week his Motown take was "Get Ready". The song was good but to be honest the performance didn't wow me. I actually had to rewatch it just now to refresh my memory. Danny has had a few rough weeks now and although he isn't in any jeopardy this week if he doesn't pick it up soon he will find himself in the bottom three before long. As of now Danny makes up my Top 3 but that could change.

Last but not least is my wirdcard. Young Allison Iraheta. Allison has blown the roof off the Idol studio with most of her last performances yet she still isn't considered a front runner. Peforming "Papa was a Rollin' Stone" by the Temptations she, once again, did not disappoint. Allison could be the one that comes up from behind and knocks the boys out of the running and takes the Idol crown, she has some work to do but I think that she is the strongest female contestant this year. I'm expecting great things over the next few weeks, definately a potential candidate for the Top 3.

So tonight is elimination night. Who will go? Who will stay? Once again tonight I'm going to pick Michael Sarver but can't rule out the chance that Scott MacIntyre will be voted out. Either way my bottom three is Michael, Scott and Megan and no save will be used tonight.

Video links courtesy of www.Rickey.org

No comments:

Post a Comment