Wednesday, May 13, 2009

American Idol - Top 3

Firstly I need to correct last weeks posting. The grand finale is next week not this week, still one more week of torturing at least two of the contestants.

So here we are. Down to the top three.

Adam Lambert, Danny Gokey and Kris Allen.

This week the top three were given a song by the judges and were told to pick one of their own.

In no particular order here is how it all went down.

Adam Lambert was asked to sing U2's "One" which, apparently, was green lighted by Bono on Saturday. The song started out ok but in the end he added too much of his trademark scream and it just kind of melded into a horrible screeching mess to me by the end.



His second song choice was "Cryin'" by Aerosmith. I figured ok Adam and Steven Tyler both have shrill voices, Tyler knows how to make it work in a rock song and Adam has had some limited success to date so this one could be ok. Boy was I wrong. I'm certain all of the cats in Hollywood gathered outside the Idol studio seeking the source of the horrible sound. I don't even know if I can describe it but if I can bring you back to last week and Danny's finishing note on Dream On....it was kind of like that only for most of the song. Maybe this is a sign neither Danny nor Adam should be granted permission to do Aerosmith covers ever again.



Kris Allen, was given "Apologize" by One Republic by Randy and Kara. His performance on the piano was great, as usual, but he didn't really make it his own. If anything it was an ok version of the original.



Kris' personal pick of the night was "Heartless" by Kanye West. When I heard him say that I hung my head and knew that it was over for Kris. Not only was there no way he could perform an R&B tune there was no way he could succeed with it. It didn't take me long to change my mind on that thought. Kris performed the song with just his guitar on center stage and it was AWESOME, AMAZING and totally hit worthy. The judges loved it as well with Kara and Randy both jumping out of their seats for excitement and even Simon overturned his premature ruling that Kris wouldn't make it into the final and suggested that with that performance anything could happen.



Danny Gokey, his song was picked by everyone's favorite judge Paula (ok I made that up). She picked "Dance Little Sister" by Terrance Trent D'arby. Danny never heard of the song before and it showed in his performance. Once again we saw his cheesy dance number that we have so missed since the early days. Kara called him out on it but for some reason Paula, who always loves everyone, thought it was great dancing.....ok Paula go back to bothering Simon.



Danny's personal choice was "You are so Beautiful" by Joe Cocker. Now this is a wonderful, beautiful song and perfect for Danny. I have no doubt that he sang it to his late wife many times and he performed it well. The question I keep asking myself over and over is where or not America needs another Michael Bolton. That's the type of entertainer Danny is. Idol caters to the 13-30 year old crowd for the most part and Bolton caters to their parents and grandparents. I'm not saying that wouldn't be a success but look at past Idol history that genre hasn't really been a huge hit, Clay what's his name as an example. I like Danny and have liked him since the start but he just isn't unique enough for me and I'm not really into what he's selling. So he's my pick to go home this week.



Before I get into my bottom three etc... I should point out that we were brought up to date on how Idol Gives Back is doing, remember that the actual show portion of Idol Gives Back was put on hold this year due to the economic crisis facing the world. Carrie Underwood recently visited Africa and provided an update on how Idol is helping out by donating mosquito tents to help fight malaria which has stricken the poorer regions of that country.

Ok so now that the public service portion has been covered lets see how the elimination will turn out....

So I predict the bottom three will be.

Kris, Adam and Danny. (I'm at least 90% sure)

This week I pick Danny to go home, if it was my choice it would be Adam but I know that unless hell freezes over that isn't going to happen. Not saying he is going to win but he definitely isn't going home tonight.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment