Wednesday, April 8, 2009

American Idol Week 5 - Birth Year

Sorry all I missed last week's post. I hope everyone enjoyed the show featuring iTunes top 100 downloads. Said goodbye to Megan Joy Corkrey.

This week we celebrate the year the contestants were born.

So here is my wrap up:

Starting the night out was once front runner, but still never in the bottom three, Danny G.
Danny chose the song "Stand By Me" from the year he was born, 1980. It was an unusual arrangment that was ok for me. Danny started the show as a rocker and one of my personal favorites but now I'm not too sure if I'm thrilled about what he's become. He's still in my top 3 but he's sliding and sliding fast.

Next up was Kris Allen. Kris is definitely without question a personal favorite of mine in this years competition. Kris performed a unique version of "All She Wants to do Is Dance" from 1985. The song was a bit lame for Kris but he definitely had the rocker look going on for him at the show playing on a lower stage surrounded by his fans. The song wasn't great but the performance was definitely notable.

Coming in at third was Lil Rounds. Lil has been on a steady free fall and the only thing that has kept her in the show was the fact that there were worse contestants ahead of her. This week Lil chose to mirror Tina Turner with "What's Love Got to Do With It" from 1984. Unfortunately she fell a bit flat with her performance....again. I've said it and the judges said it as well...Lil needs to create a name for herself and stop copycat performances if she wants to stand a chance and staying on the show. It is possible that it's too late. This week I'm sure Lil will be in the bottom three which means that he hopes are now riding on a worse performance from Scott MacIntyre, another Idol who has a bit of a target on his back lately.

Rounding out the first half is Anoop Desai. He started his appearance off with an apology for his remarks to Kara last week saying that he didn't represent himself the way he felt he should. Anyway Simon said it right in the critique there is nothing that requires the contestants to apologize. It's all fair the judges dish it out and the contestants should be able to state their case back. Anyway now that everyone kissed and made up Anoop whisks us over the rainbow with his rendition of "True Colors" from 1986. I thought is was a nice take on the song not one of Anoop's best but should be good enough to ensure he will return next week.

Now on to Scott MacIntyre...I had mentioned in my review on Lil's performance that her safety this week would depend on how well Scott did in his performance. Scott performed "The Search is Over" from 1986. Scott surprised us this week, I had no idea; I don't think anyone did, he played the guitar. Nice to see him take a shot at performing without the piano but I just didn't feel it. I hate to say it but I think Scott could be making his curtain call this week.

As we head into the final three performers of the night young Allison Iraheta takes to the stage. Allison takes on Bonnie Raitt's classic "I Can't Make You Love Me" from 1992. I don't think Allison gets enough credit on this show. She is one of the only "true" performers on the show. Sure the others can sing but Allison brings the whole package. This latest performance was top notch, possibly even better than Raitt herself. I expect Allison to go far but she needs to step out from Adam Lambert's shadow and get some attention if she wants to survive on this show. She can't wait until she is in the bottom four or five she has to start now. She has the potential to win this one.

Second to last is crooner Matt Giraud who's identity crisis has almost resulted in him being voted off the show. This week Matt's song choice seems to be better suited to the style of music he should be making. He chose to perform "Part Time Lover" a hit for Stevie Wonder in 1985. What a difference a change in genre makes for Matt. He really knocked PTL out of the park. Likely his best performance to date. If this doesn't keep him in the competition nothing will.

Last but not least is the ever popular Adam Lambert. If you listen to most of the Idol buzz this season it appears as though Adam has already won the title. Granted he is good but keep in mind he has a lot of experience as well...coming from a career performing on stage this will all reflect in his Idol experience. When I first saw Adam on the show I was not a fan, that grew to being in denial and then after his performance of Ring of Fire I think it's safe to say I'm a fan. This week Adam performed "Mad World" from 1982. Now I love this song before and after last night Adam Lambert's version is my new favorite. The most chilling part of his performance was actually the judges critique at the end. Due to time constraints Simon was to deliever the judges verdict and all he said was "I'm going to give you a standing ovation". I'm not 100% certain but this has to be an Idol first, it's definitely the first time I've seen this since I've started watching the show. But it was well deserved.

My batting average for who gets sent home every week has not been doing very well but once again I'll give it a shot.

My bottom three this week are: Lil Rounds, Scott MacIntyre and Danny G. Scott MacIntyre will be sent home and the save will not be used.

Check back tomorrow to see how close I came.

Video links courtesy of www.Rickey.org

No comments:

Post a Comment