Wednesday, April 29, 2009

American Idol Week 8 - Rat Pack

It's top 5 week at American Idol and Rat Pack Standards is the theme. Our top five is made up of Kris, Allison, Matt, Dokey, and Adam. Sticking with the theme of Rat Pack this week's mentor is Jamie Foxx....ok not sure how that fits with the theme.

Kicking things off for the night is Kris Allen with "The Way You Look Tonight". When Kris met with Jamie Foxx, Jamie let him know that he was a huge fan and offered to do an album with him right then and there. Let me tell you something about Kris. He is the most laid back relaxed contestant in the show this year. He goes out there, performs his song (and really really well I should add) and then gets his feedback and learns from it. My biggest pet peeve when it comes to Kris is how horrible the judges treat him week after week. After last nights performance they were raving about how great he was and how it was his best yet and how he keeps getting better and better and on and on and on. But then when Adam comes out to perform all of that is forgotten and now suddenly everyone else is crap because Adam is so great. Am I the only one who thinks that Adam is Broadway and Kris is the one with the true recording artist in him? Adam is nothing without the stage, trust me the trademark Adam scream or squeal on every song will get old very fast.

Anyway enough of my rambling here is Kris' performance of "The Way You Look Tonight"


Next up is America's favorite teenager, now 17, and now I'm not talking about a Spears sister or one of the Hiltons, not even about one of the Lohans I'm talking about Allison Iraheta. Allison performed "Someone to Watch Over Me" giving her a chance to show a slightly softer side, which I believe she did successfully. It's getting crunch time for Allison now, she has the vocals but now she needs to prove that she is in it to win and that she believes that she has what it takes. Remember last year? David A. didn't believe he was good enough, I still don't think he believes, and David Cook (the better choice anyway) ended up winning. I have predicted Allison would make the top 4 and I think she'll still be ok this week but unless she pulls a rabbit out of a hat next week and learns how to squeal like Adam I don't think she'll survive next week.

Here is Allison performing "Someone to Watch Over Me":


Next up is the contestant that they used the save on a few weeks ago, also known as Matt Giraud. Matt had a great meeting with Jamie and was all proud that Jamie didn't have any suggestions on where he could improve his version of "My Funny Valentine", maybe because he was beyond help or never listened to other mentors before. But on second thought Jamie called him back and suggested that he consider changing the key. Matt takes the stage and performs the song all over the place. Off key one second, on key the next and naturally adding a bunch of runs that were really unnecessary for this song. I would have expected more from Matt his week, just like Lil at MoTown, this should have been his week but he blew it.

Here is Matt's performance of "My Funny Valentine"


Ok so three down only two left to go. Danny and Adam. Neither of these two remaining should be in any danger of going home this week unless one of them completely falls off the stage, or down the stairs. First up is Danny Gokey with "Come Rain or Come Shine". This week I was most closely watching Danny and Matt to see which one would really come out shining and solidify their spot in the top 3, after a few notes it was clear that Danny was it. Without question that was Danny's best performance to date, it's good to have him back in the competition. He was my early pick for the title but it was starting to get a bit worrisome there for a while, but as Danny said himself he finally gets it.

Danny Gokey "Come Rain or Come Shine":


Last but not least it's everyone's favorite scream queen Adam Lambert performing "Feelin' Good (Muse Version) ". I've been saying week after week that Adam is too Broadway or too theatrical and week after week I keep getting told that I don't know what I am talking about. Try listening to Adam Lambert with your eyes closed so you don't see the performance and you'll find it's much different from what you see on TV. Adam is one heck of a performer, I won't argue that, but he isn't recording artist material. Adam doesn't look good playing from my car stereo, whereas someone like Kriss Allen or Danny G. would. It's about singing and being able to sell albums. Yes Adam can sing but I just don't think he has what it takes to carry the banner for American Idol. I think he is better suited for a career on Broadway or some touring production of a Broadway show. But that's just me :-)

Here is Adam Lambert performing "Feelin' Good":


So for this week my picks for bottom three are:
Allison, Matt and Danny

Going home sweet home this week will be Matt

Check back tomorrow for the recap.

No comments:

Post a Comment